Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving

My family doesn't have too many holiday traditions but one thing we've done for the last 10yrs is some sort of Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning. Turkey trots usually support great local charities and really its just a way to make people feel less guilty about eating as much as possible later that day. The best one I've done so far was an 8mile YMCA Turkey Trot in Dallas with 35,000 people. I have never done a race with so many people before or since - it was incredible.

This years Turkey Trot is the Arlington Turkey Trot and it supports the Arlington-Alexandria Coalition for the Homeless (AACH), Doorways for Women & Families, and Arlington Food Assistance Center. It's a "fun run" which means a nice, easy course with lots of strollers, babies and dogs. My mom and dad drove up from Davidson for the holiday and they are participating along with me, Erik, Nike and Ella. As a sidenote, I did this race last year with Nike (we didn't have Ella yet) and I registered Erik but somehow ended up doing the race with just Nike. Erik was stricken with a serious case of "it's 20 degrees and I really need to sleep in" so he didn't quite make it.

Me and Nikester last year - she's ripping my arm off!




Happy Thanksgiving! Remember everything you have to be thankful for :)

2 comments:

  1. Aww, happy thanksgiving to you too Catherine. This seems like too large of a crowd to really get up to a run. How far can your greyhounds run? I know they're sprinters, so they can run fast, but do they do distances well too?

    ReplyDelete